Get Ready with Bettie! // Miss Bettie Bookworm

Leave a Comment

Hello Everyone!
Miss Bettie Bookworm comin at ya with a little step by step hair “tutorial” on a brush out I tend to do after a fresh set. So I have to say I am not a hair stylist, nor do I have professional training. I just love to do hair, and sort of just get lucky with how some of my styles turn out. I have watched youtube tutorials from some of the most inspiring pinups, seen vintage photographers ( which I google) , and talk to fellow retro gals about how they do their own. All of which have inspired and taught me dos and don'ts of the retro hair world, as well as what works for my own hair.



Hair itself is rather complicated, it's all very unique depending on the person and you just have to go through a trial and error period of product, tools and styles. It’s basically like going through those awkward child years all over again. Sounds fun right? It’s not. But all you can do is laugh and push through. After years of practice, and those rough and tumble awkward years I finally got to the point where I am proud of what I can do to my own hair. Could I do it for someone else? Who knows really.. But hopefully these little tips and trick can help you on your journey.


So lets kick this thing off with some product and tools shall we?  The product and tool  find is sometimes the hardest part of the hair styling adventure. What ends up; happening is you have to rediscover what your hair is all about. Obviously some products and supplies work for some people and not for others. Everyone needs a few basics to have something to work with. A brush is always important when it comes to a brush out, pretty shocking right? Who would have thought?? I currently using the Wet Brush brand in the “smooth” style , tends to work the best for brush out without taking out all of my curl. When it comes to teasing comes and “smoothing” brushes you can find a reasonable good quality at a hair supply store. Duck slips are a saving grace! They are theses long, “flat”, metal clip that is great when you get everything shaped to be able to set everything in place while one create a cloud of hairspray. Though I am forgetting the most important part, curlers ! I use what I call pillow rollers, which may or may not be what they are actually called. They are pieces of foam with a wire through it, wrapped in a material like cotton or satin. Very easy to sleep on and inexpensive. You only have to replace them ever so often, depending on how tore up you let them get. 

Product wise I have very specific products that I use after a very long series of stuff that just didn’t work for my hair type. In regards to Hair spray I use the Kenra “volume spray” extra hold stuff that will keep my hair together, for the most part, till the very end of the day. Do to the fact that I live in an incredibly foggy area there is just going to be fall out because of the moisture in the air. To set my hair overnight I use the tried and true Suavicita Prep Spray, and can I tell you that I love it ever so much! Keeps my curls soft but secure when I take out my pillow curlers. Pomade is the final product I use on my hair when it comes to the prep and finishing. I usually use it to smooth out flyaways, curls, and I use it when i first undo my set. Right now I am using American Pomade and I love it. Great texture, and smells wonderful, very easy to work with. I know it may seem like a lot , but really I probably could be using so much more.

OK ! I promise onto the quick steps for you, enough about all the stuff I use.



Step One: By now I hope you have come to the conclusion that I set my hair in pillow curlers overnight with prep spray. But if not “ I set my hair overnight with prep spray,” then I wrap my head in a scarf to keep everything in place.

Step Two: Wake up, sit at your vanity, and look at yourself and wonder why you go through all of this most mornings. This is usually when I start my make up for the day. I basically do everything but my eyes and lips, this is so I wont mess up any styles I create while i'm trying to paint my face.

Step Three: Remove the curlers ! I usually remove the curlers by going with the flow of the curl. Do not yank them out, they will end up fluffy and you’ll hurt your head.
 
Woo Hoo you got this far! Keep it up!

Step Four: I take this awesome American Pomade, rub it between my hands, the lightly run my fingers through my curls. This help separate them, and starts to give me some texture to work with. 


 
Step Five: Now time to take your handy dandy brush and brush through your hair. This is the part you have to be careful with. You have to find when to stop brushing in order to have all your body and curl leftover, but a shape forming. There has been a ton of times where I have brushed too much and lost all the curl in my hair, or I didnt brush enough and had no true shape.

 
Step Six: THE TEASE ! Take your teasing brush and start getting in there. Teasing helps keep curls from sectioning back off, gives your volume, and helps keep the body of your hair up longer. After many times of styling my hair without the tease I realized that my hair deflates a lot faster. Teasing can be scary, take it easy the first few times while you are still figuring out what your hair can handle.

 
Step Seven: Once you have your hair Dolly Parton big you can take your brush and start lightly brushing and shaping your hair. This is when your duck clips will come into play. Once you start feeling the shape your hair is deciding to do you can clip you hold the look in place. Duck clips are a huge life saver by holding everything in place while you are working through it. After you get the shape you desire and the duck slips in place I usually take my smoothing brush and clean everything up. Since I have naturally straight hair, after all the teasing there can be some fly away realness.


Step Eight: Time to create that lovely cloud of hair spray that settles on your phone screen, glasses and basically everything you own. Hairspray is your best friend! Having a good hairspray will help a look lock in place for most, if not the entirety of the day. I’m not going to lie to you, I use a lot of hairspray. I have to make sure these curls are going to last through those foggy days.


Step Nine: Girl if you are like me it’s time to finish your face. While I am little the hair spray dry and settle with the clips in is right about the time I change into what I am wearing for the day, and finish my makeup for the day. Well minus the lipstick, red lipstick gets everywhere and I don't want it getting on something while I am changing.



Step Ten: FINALLY !! Finally dose of airspray cloud after you take out your duck clips and brush down anything that got fluffy. Put on your favorite red lipstick, set your makeup with your favorite setting spray… the BOOM ! Slay Queen!


( these photos were taken about half way through my work day)


Until next time, enjoy doing your hair!
Love Miss Bettie Bookworm x

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig