Saturday, 9 April 2016

Living a Vintage Life

In a modern world the vintage lovers can be lost, ridiculed or forced to play ‘dress up’ on weekends and evenings.

When living in a vintage world you gravitate towards other dedicated lovers of the vintage era, whether it is at jive clubs, fairs and weekenders or a trip to your local Krispy Kreme in your classic car at the weekend. We all tend to ‘find’ one another and connect in the most modern of ways – the Internet.



I come from a fine art and fashion background – with years of working as a fashion stylist for international brands, celebrities and the media under my belt. An industry renowned for its often bitchy attitude and ‘out for yourself’ mentality. When making the decision to follow my vintage passion into a new and exciting world – I was unsure of the reception I would have. I had no need to worry!  Often creative brains, finding new and inventive ways of restoring, repairing and finding that perfect piece – we are an imaginative bunch – and I fit right in! I was struck by not only how friendly everyone was but, the camaraderie displayed among everyone – reminiscent of the war time era. Everyone would club together – to help those that needed it – lending a hand and offering advise or tips.

However, living a vintage life need not stop at weekend retreats and dancing the lindy! OH NO – a true sense of vintage style should be carried forward into your living abode. My home is full of vintage treasures – collected from around the globe, flea markets, vintage fairs, Ebay and more. We live in a mid century home and have filled her to the brim with 50’s and 60’s furniture. I am forever scouring the Internet for G-Plan or Ercol items, perfect fabrics or images to frame. It has almost become an obsession.



When looking at the glossy adverts of yester-year I am envious of the style, the ease of purchase of some of the best decor I have seen…ever! I wonder what it would be like to be transferred back to a time where you could pop to the local furniture dealer and purchase your sectional sofa in shades of mint or peach – where having a pink bathroom suite was not a sin but a must! I dream of owning a Concept home (LA) that I can truly turn into my own vintage haven – of course I couldn’t sacrifice my modern accessories – a nice balance of old and new is always a battle!


 For now I am living my vintage life, wearing my vintage and vintage repro clothes, sitting on my G-plan 1959 sofa, surrounded by 50’s & 60’s atomic loveliness – while searching the web on my MacBook and watching The Real Housewives of somewhere! That’s enough for me – right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment